Tim Tams & Tid Bits from Down Under

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Week 2

Week 2 Update:
This week we had a guest speaker, Cliff, an American who is a missionary in China. He taught on worship and prayer. What they accomplish between you and God and what they mean. Cliff is a great teacher, very interactive and kept our attention. He also talked to us about joining them in China for a two year commitment of full time missions. Sounds interesting, but don't worry yet Mom! I didn't sign up for it! But I am definitly praying about what God wants for me after these 6 months.
We are also getting underway with our sports schedule. Playing indoor beach volleyball on Tuesday nights, a sports activity on Wednesday afternoons, morning workouts at 6 am M-F. I'm having a lot of fun, learning a lot, getting to know the tons of new people that I have met and so looking forward to where we will go and what we will do on our outreach for the second three month segment. We don't know where or what yet.
Here on base we all have work duties for two hours every afternoon. Some examples are dinner or lunch dishes and prep, hospitality, vehicle maintenence, gardens, reception, our coffee house downtown, media, etc. Mine is on the property/maintenence crew. I'm starting out with designing the new wardrobe closets for one of the new student dorms called Gladstone Street House. Then I will design storage shelves for the bathrooms there and then help build everything. I'm having to figure out the metric system and try and design using the length and width of boards as they come so we can save time on cutting and not have wasted materials. I'm having fun with this project and people are quite impressed with my hand drafting skills! No autocad here! I should be able to draw and letter correctly since I taught how to do it!
Our time here is pretty programed throughout the day and sometimes on Saturdays too. This weekend we are completely free so a group of us are planning to go to the beach of Saturday. There are several birthdays in this group of days so I have several birthday party and dinner invites for that night. Sunday I'm going to church with a gal, Gwen, who is a friend of my aunt and uncle from Texas. Gwen is on staff here. The church is in Fremantle which is a suburb of Perth. She invited me to go kiyaking (sp?) with herself and a friend after church so I might get to do that.
Thanks so much for all of your replys. They mean so much! I think of you and pray for you all the time. Laura

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are amazing! Glad I can say you are a freind. Are there any picture coming soon? Shirley

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home